The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) strives to develop and maintain a diverse, inclusive public service. We have worked diligently to ensure this website is accessible and easy for everyone to use. Our goal is to provide accessibility and ease of access to our website, for our employees, our future employees, and the public we serve.
The GNWT's Consistent User Experience (web standards) requires that all GNWT websites use valid eXtensible HyperText Markup Language (XHTML) 1.0 Transitional, CSS 2.0, and conform to World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) (External) guidelines.
Some considerations taken when creating a more accessible website include:
- Large font sizes and high contrast ratios to ensure content is visible and legible
- Simple, easy to use navigation
- Few graphics and images are used to reduce bandwidth
- Links never open in new tabs, browser windows or pop-up windows, unless indicated
- Links can be either tabbed through for easy navigation or scrolled through with the keyboard
- Low bandwidth version of media rich files should be used as often as possible and the size of large files should be indicated next to the documents name, so that the user can judge whether they want to download the file or not
- Pages are print-friendly and remove the header, footer, navigation, backgrounds and unnecessary images from the print out
- Pages allows for the use of modifications to increase text size and magnify screen/zoom
GNWT websites will work in the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 8.0 and newer (Windows)
- Mozilla Firefox (All recent versions on Windows, Mac and Linux)
- Google Chrome (All recent versions on Windows, Mac and Linux)
- Safari (All recent versions on Mac)
- Any other web browser that understands valid XHTML and CSS
Software You Might Need
Some documents on this website are available in a PDF format. Adobe Acrobat (External) is needed to open these files. Acrobat is available to download at no charge from Adobe.
Last modified: September 14, 2018